tower of orchinu
The tower of Orchinu was financed in 1505 by the pieve of Paomia, Revinda and Salona: the four towers of Paomia (today Cargese), Orchinu, Omigna and Capu Rossu communicated with each other to warn the local populations of the arrival of barbarian ships.
In the commune of Cargèse, at an altitude of 172 metres, on the promontory of Punta d'Orchinu, on the ridge, stands a Genoese tower, partly ruined, which can be seen from a great distance. Orchinu offers a grandiose landscape of maquis bordered by cliffs that plunge into the sea. The same landscape can be found here, marked by the presence of low dry stone walls, ruined houses and wheat threshing floors, all vestiges of the site's agricultural past, which are gradually masked by shrubbery.
Its construction was financed in 1505 by the pieve of Paomia, Revinda and Salona: the four towers of Paomia (today Cargèse), Orchinu, Omigna and Capu Rossu communicated with each other to warn the local populations of the arrival of barbarian ships.
The cliffs and rocky areas of the Orchinu point are home to the nests of many bird species: the great osprey and the fast peregrine falcon, the tireless pale swift, with its incessant flight, the delicate rock swallow, the Mediterranean crested cormorant,
It was in the Gulf of Chiuni, at the foot of Orchinu, that the submarine Casabianda made its first delivery of arms (and men) to the Corsican resistance, on the night of 14-15 December 1942: The numerous support actions of this submarine were a determining element for the liberation of Corsica in 1943.
- 1 km away